Simple ways to reduce energy and save money.
Did you know that heating and cooling make up more than half of your monthly energy bill? Fortunately, there are several measures you can take as a home or business owner to keep your utility bills under control. Here are some tips we’ve collected to make you more comfortable while lowering your energy bills.
- Set your thermostat to 68°F in the winter and 76°F in the summer.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically regulate your home’s temperature.
- Keep windows and doors closed to prevent heat loss.
- Locate and fix air leaks.
- Consider adding extra insulation to floors and ceilings.
- Keep windows and doors closed to prevent loss of cool air.
- Cover windows with shades or drapes to keep sunlight from warming up your home or business.
- Raise your thermostat at night and whenever your home is unoccupied.
- To maintain optimum airflow, change your air filter every 3 months.
- Consider buying a new energy-efficient water heater.
- Try lowering your water heater thermostat to 120°F.
- Wash dishes and clothes in cold water.
- Consider switching to a low-pressure showerhead.
- Opt for a shower instead of a bath.
- Locate and fix all faucet and showerhead leaks.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Install sensors so lights automatically go off in unoccupied rooms.
- Replace standard light bulbs with CFL light bulbs, or LED light bulbs.
- Install motion-activated lighting outdoors.
- Choose solar for landscape lighting.
- Power down or turn off appliances when not in use.
- Replace older appliances with energy-efficient models.
- Use a microwave or toaster oven to heat smaller food items.
- Unplug battery chargers as soon as charging is complete.